- Programs & Services
- Resources & Publications
- Grants & Awards
- CRLT Players
Rackham-CRLT May Seminar on Preparing Future Faculty (PFF) General Information
The Horace H. Rackham School of Graduate Studies and the Center for Research on Learning and Teaching (CRLT) seek applicants for the fourteenth annual Seminar on Preparing Future Faculty designed to help prepare senior graduate students for faculty positions. For this nationally-recognized Seminar, we are seeking advanced graduate students who have achieved candidacy and have college or university teaching experience. Participants who successfully complete the program will have fulfilled two requirements toward a U-M Rackham-CRLT Graduate Teacher Certificate.
The Seminar will include the following:
- Preparation for an academic job search, including assistance with the creation of a statement of teaching philosophy and a syllabus.
- Information about higher education (e.g., institutional types, the nature of today’s students, tenure, and faculty worklife) and field trips to local college campuses.
- Discussion of effective and reflective teaching, including meetings with University of Michigan junior faculty members, conversations about multicultural teaching and learning, and demonstrations of and reflection on the use of instructional technology.
Deadline for applications is Monday, February 24, 2014 at 4:00pm.
Please call 615-9263 with questions.
The 2014 five-week Seminar will begin Tuesday, May 6 and end Thursday, June 5, meeting every Tuesday and Thursday from 8:30 - 1:30. Breakfast and lunch will be provided. Childcare is not available at the Seminar.
Applicants should link to the application form and provide the following materials:
- Application form which includes contact information, candidacy, teaching experiences, and teaching-related training.
A cover letter (limited to 2 single-spaced pages, saved as a pdf file) which answers the following questions:
- At which type of academic institution would you like to be a faculty member (e.g., research-oriented, teaching-oriented, or a mix) and why?
- What are your core values regarding teaching? Please provide examples from your own teaching as a GSI and/or learning as a student.
- How will the Seminar enhance your previous training and experience as a college-level teacher?
- What else do you hope to gain from the PFF Seminar?
**Please use the following format to name your file: “LastName_FirstName_PFF2014_cover.pdf”
- A current CV
**Please use the following format to name your pdf file: “LastName_FirstName_PFF2014_CV.pdf”
PFFSeminarAPPS@umich.edu or call 615-9263 with questions.
*Registration is not necessary to take the PFF Seminar. It is free of charge to accepted students.