- Programs & Services
- Resources & Publications
- Grants & Awards
- CRLT Players
Rackham-CRLT May Seminar on Preparing Future Faculty (PFF) General Information
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW OPEN
Please submit your applications at https://crlt.umich.edu/MayPFF-2017-app
Due: 2/24/17 @ 4:00PM
The Horace H. Rackham School of Graduate Studies and the Center for Research on Learning and Teaching (CRLT) seek applicants for the 2017 Seminar on Preparing Future Faculty, designed to help prepare senior graduate students for faculty positions. For this nationally-recognized Seminar, we are seeking advanced graduate students who have achieved candidacy and have college or university teaching experience. Participants who successfully complete the program will make progress towards the U-M Rackham-CRLT Graduate Teacher Certificate.
The 2017 Seminar will take place over five weeks and meet every Tuesday and Thursday morning between May 2 and June 1. Most sessions include a short introduction to content, self-reflection, small group work, large group discussions, and various forms of active learning. One of these sessions is dedicated to a visiting a local college campus outside of U-M to learn about the faculty experience at a range of institutions. Participants will also be expected to complete readings and other professional development assignments between sessions.
Apply research-based inclusive teaching strategies to their teaching-related job search documents – a teaching philosophy and syllabus – and their future teaching practice.
Design a specific course they could teach at UM or another institution utilizing principles of backward design and universal design.
Understand student learning assessment and institutional accountability in higher education, with particular focus on implications for their teaching.
Reflect on their own teaching practice and explain their approach to teaching to colleagues and future employers, both in writing in a teaching philosophy and orally.
Identify strategies for success in higher education for their diverse students as learners and themselves as scholars.
Engage in conversations about teaching and faculty life with faculty at diverse institution types and in different roles.
Applicants will be asked to provide the following materials which should be submitted at https://crlt.umich.edu/MayPFF-2017-app.
- Web-based application form which includes contact information, candidacy, teaching experiences, and teaching-related training.
A cover letter (limited to 2 single-spaced pages, saved as a pdf file) which should address the following:
- Describe the type of institution at which you imagine yourself as a faculty member (e.g. research-focused, teaching-focused, mixed) and why you think this would be a good fit for you.
- Describe your core values around teaching. Please provide examples from your own experience teaching as a GSI and/or learning as a student.
- Describe how you imagine the PFF Seminar will build on any previous pedagogical training and improve your experience as a college-level teacher.
- Include any additional benefits you feel the content or structure of the PFF Seminar will add to your professional development.
- **Please use the following format to name your file: “LastName_FirstName_PFF2017_cover.pdf” (e.g., Jones_Pat_PFF2017_cover.pdf)
A current CV (saved as a pdf file)
- Please use the following format to name your pdf file: “LastName_FirstName_PFF2017_CV.pdf” (e.g., Jones_Pat_PFF2017_CV.pdf)
We will also consider postdoctoral scholars for the program; however, graduate students will be prioritized due to limited space.
The seminar is free of charge to accepted participants.
Spring term enrollment is not required for the PFF Seminar.
Attendance is required at all sessions. More than 1 absense will jeopardize your ability to receive credit for the program.
Successful completion of the Seminar will count towards the "B. Learning about teaching" requirement of the GTC program.
To receive credit for the "E. Reflection on instructional practice" requirement of the GTC program, you still must submit your teaching philosophy for a consultation with a CRLT graduate teaching consultant.
Childcare is not available at the Seminar.
If you have any further questions about the application process, please email PFFSeminarAPPS@umich.edu or call (734) 764-0505 with questions.